Monday 8 September 2014

Tax effective: Top up your SUPER contribution



There are two methods of making additional contributions to your SUPER:
  •   Before-tax : employer sontribution + salary sacrificed contributions
    • Ask you employer if they can do salary sacrifice so they will automatically deduct a certain amount on your salary(how much you want to salary sacrifice) and they will deposit directly to your SUPER.  It is taxed at 15%
  •   After-tax / technically referred to as ‘non-concessional contributions’
Research on "salary sacrifice" and "Government’s superannuation co-contribution scheme"

What I do:
- I use before tax contribution to lower my accessible income and the portion I contribute is only tax at 15%.
- I use after tax contribution for my wife (not working) since she is eligible for the Government’s superannuation co-contribution scheme (the Government deposit additional $500 on her SUPER)


Caveat: I am not a tax expert or financial advicesor. Please consider if it is appropriate on your personal objectives and needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment